I trust that you have been well. I cant believe I didn’t do a single post in March! Note to self, improve!
I took down my long term PS three weeks ago after having it in for 4 weeks. I was enjoying the simple wash days seeing that not much could be done with the cornrows in. As is usual for me, after I take down the long term PS, I usually do a long wash day. This is because I have to do protein treatment which is usually followed by a moisturizing DC. That happened and then the following weekend I just did a simple wash of DC, tea rinse, then moisture and seal. Now, this past weekend I did a wash day in preparation for my relaxer this weekend. I can believe I’m 16 weeks post! Time has really flown by, although I guess its because I barely had any problems this stretch.
Here is how my wash day went down:
1. Clarified my hair once with ORS aloe shampoo to remove product build up. I followed this up with a moisture shampoo (CoN moisture and shine shampoo).
ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo
2. I usually detangle my hair with the CoN shampoo step because it gives my hair so much slip! So after rinsing the shampoo I tea rinsed (black tea) my hair, left the tea in and tied my hair with a t-shirt.
3. After about ten minutes, I applied the CoN DC on my new growth, then I applied the ORS hair Mayo on my ends. This was my way of doing both protein and moisture DC to avoiding DCeing twice. I let this sit for two hours as I did my chores (I clean up on Saturdays because its the day I have time).
4. I rinsed that off and again tied my hair with a t-shirt for ten minutes. I have fine strands that dry up very fast!
5. I sprayed my hair with chi keratin mist, then sealed that in with the ORS moisturizing hair lotion. I work in 6 sections (three on either side of my head). So I plaited each section after moisturizing and sealing. I then tied my head scarf and left my hair like that until the next day when I undid them and held my hair in a bun for church.
CHI Keratin Mist
Olive Oil Incredibly Rich Moisturizing Hair Lotion
How was your recent Wash day? Share your experience on the wash day experience.
P.S. I’m touching up my hair this Easter Weekend. And, I have a surprise coming up so stay tuned.
I apologize for being MIA for a while. Things have just been happening and I just didn’t have the motivation to write. I have been religiously washing my hair weekly. I have actually been enjoying my wash days because I have been been having a bit more time on Saturdays and sometimes Sundays to do proper wash days. This is how my wash day went:
1. I prepooed with coconut oil on the length of my hair and some Soft n’ Free GroHealthy Milk Protein & olive Oil on my scalp. I wore a plastic bag over my hair for one hour as I did my house work.
2. I rinsed that off and then shampooed my hair with random hotel shampoos that I have been keeping in my stash from different trips. This was a major blunder because they left my hair matted like hell.
3. I solved that by applying Roux Porosity Control (I finished this product btw) on my hair. I let that sit for 10 minutes and combed through with a wide toothed comb. Below is the amount of hair I lost.
4. I rinsed that off and followed it up with a black tea rinse. I run the tea through my hair five times and then let it drip off until there was no more liquid dripping off from my hair. I then tied my hair in a t-shirt for 5 minutes to remove any extra liquid.
5. I applied my Lory’s DC and added some mix of oils (castor oil & olive oil). I left this for 1.5hours as I continued with cleaning my house.
6. I rinsed that off, T-shirt dried for 10 minutes and then sit to blow dry. In my country, few salon attendants know how to blow dry hair well (neither do they know that they don’t know). They use the smallest toothed comb to achieve the smoothest results before they plait. You all know the dangers of the small toothed combs! That is why I embarked on blow drying my own hair.
7. For this step, I used chi keratin mist and Soft n’ Free Oil Moisturizer (another new purchase). The results:
After Blow Drying
8. It was not until 5:30pm that I left the house and went to the salon for a long term PS. It took one and a half hours and these are the results:
How was your wash day? Share it with us at the wash day experience.
I started a goal in 2014 to use up all of my products before i make any new purchases. This was a good plan except for one thing, some products just didn’t work with my hair! I have protein sensitive hair. For that reason, any product that says “strengthens” always leaves my hair dry and brittle (I learned this the hard way). That said, all the products I have in my stash that I had bought for adding moisture in my hair have “strengthen” on them. For the past week and a half, My hair has suffered the effects of these products. I didn’t even want to touch my hair.
I just had to go shopping. I purchased the Olive Oil Incredibly Rich Moisturizing Hair Lotion.
Olive Oil Incredibly Rich Moisturizing Hair Lotion
I bought the biggest bottle I could get! I discovered this product from the last relaxer kit I bought. It was my first time relaxing my hair using ORS relaxer. They had a small pack in there and when I used it on my hair, I fell in love. The moisture lasts all day when I use this product.
I will be posting a review on this product after a Few months of use.
“And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28
This is the first week back to work after the Christmas break. Monday felt like how it felt the first day of school all those years ago. A home sickish sort of feeling. We basically played catch up at work since we all spent Christmas Break in different parts of our country. It was fun but now it’s such a drag getting back to the pace of work.
That said, my hair was used to pampering wash days twice every week. That was good for me but now I’m back to work and I don’t have time within the week to do a mid-week wash day. My scalp however forced me to do a mini-wash today. It was so itchy that I couldn’t wait till the weekend. After work is not the best time to do a wash day. I kept it as short as I could:
1. I shampooed my hair with CoN sulphate free shampoo twice. The second time I kept it longer as I used the opportunity to detangle my hair. Detangling wet hair is the only thing that has been working for me these days.
2. I applied the CoN nourishing conditioner for 5 minutes and rinsed.
3. I t-shirt dried for 10 minutes and then applied coconut oil to my damp hair.
I tied my hair in a bun using a clip and then tied a head scarf for bed.
“And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.” (Hebrews 11:6)
How was your recent wash day?
Happy New Year and updates
I trust that you year as started well. Mine has, and I thank God that I’m alive and well. I appreciate the gift of life and good health this New Year. That said, I would like to apologize for my absence. I don’t have a good reason for my absence, just excuses.
While I was away, I did a touch up on the 1st of December at 17 weeks post (I cant believe I’m 1 month post!). I used the ORS No Lye Relaxer on normal strength. The touch up went well and so have the subsequent wash days.
ORS No-Lye Relaxer (Normal)
Inside the box
(i) I have kept wash days as simple as possible.
(ii) I shampoo my hair with CoN Argan oil Shampoo. This shampoo gives me very good slip and it makes it easy to detangle my hair while its wet because this is the only thing that has been working for me.
(iii) I t-shirt dry for five minutes and then apply my conditioner on damp hair. I cover that with a plastic bag for between 30 minutes and 2 hours.
(iv) I rinse off the conditioner and t-shirt dry again for a few minutes.
(v) I then stretch my new growth using the tension method and finish off with applying my leave ins
I have been bunning 100% of the time. Now that I’m 4 weeks post, my new growth is starting to show. I intend to stretch for 16 weeks as usual. That means I must incorporate a PS or two to help with the stretch. In the next few weeks, you may see corn rows or a wig. How is your new year?
“For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.” (Ephesians 2:8)
I’m Finally at my target stretching goal (16 weeks). It has not been an easy stretch except for when I have a PS. I wore cornrows for approximately 4 weeks. Then in the past three weeks, I have been wigging. I bought my first wig and I have been loving having it on because I get to leave my hair alone except for wash days and when I’m M&Sing during the week. I am intending to relax my hair this coming weekend and so this wash day had a little more protein incorporated to add strength to my strands.
Here is how my wash day went:
Hair products used
1. I prepooed with Soft n’ Free GroHealthy Milk Protein & olive Oil. As I mentioned earlier, this oil is only used as a prepoo because it leaves my hair brittle. I’m actually using it because I don’t want to let it go to waste. When I’m done with this bottle I will not repurchase.
2. Shampooed with two shampoos. First, I shampooed once with Olive Oil Creamy Aloe shampoo to clarify. Then I shampooed with CoN Moisture & Shine shampoo to restore moisture to my strands.
3. After rinsing the Shampoo, I applied my Roux Porosity Control Corrector and Conditioner on my hair and let it sit for 5 minutes before rinsing.
4. I t-shirt dried for 10 minutes and then applied my DC. I used Bonnawell on the base of my hair and then layered with Lory’s on the ends of my hair. I coated this some EVOO and covered my hair with a plastic bag and let it sit for 2 hours.
5. I rinsed the mixture and t-shirt dried for 20 minutes.
6. I applied my leave ins (L=Chi Keratin Mist, C=ORS Carrot Oil, & O=EVOO) in sections and the detangled as I installed rollers. I slept in the rollers and that was the most uncomfortable night of my life.
1 inch rollers
Front side (half inch rollers)
I took down the rollers in the morning and kept the curls for the whole day. I do not have pictures of my hair after removing the rollers. The results were good but my hair reverted within a few hours because of the texlaxed texture. In the evening, I parted my hair in to six sections and braided(three on each side of my head), then tied my head scarf for the night. I have been wigging for the week.
I tried to curl my hair before and failed! This past weekend I was at my mum’s place and decided to experiment with her rollers. I used two different sizes of rollers.
Yellow (half inch)
Green (one inch)
I intend to purchase some for myself in the coming months. I would like to practice roller setting until I’m good at it. These are the results:
From the yellow roller
from the green roller
I prefer the curl from the green roller. I don’t like the tight look of the curl from the yellow on. Which one do you like?